Sunday, June 11, 2017

Last post of this year

Hi Everyone!  

Well, it’s here. The last week of the 2016-2017 school year is upon us, and what a great year it was. I hope that you go into this week feeling excited to bring the year to a close and celebratory as you think of what you have accomplished with our students. There is always more to do, but try not to let that be the focus now.

This week
Monday - PEAK and Ujamaa field trips & the School Board meets at 5:30
Tuesday - PRIDE field trip
Wednesday - After school staff meeting and the 8th grade send off dance
Thursday - 8th grade promotion ceremony @ 5:30
Friday - our last day - half day with an assembly from 10:00-10:30. Schedule  
Report cards will go home this week. Grades should be in by Wednesday morning. Thank you! Don’t forget to add a STAND UP ticket for one of your colleagues to the jar in the work room!
Looking ahead
Staff development on Monday the 19th and Tuesday the 20th.


Leadership team update
Adrienne and Milika will be new members of the leadership team next year. Join me please in a heartfelt thank you to Treg and to Jay for their years of leadership on this team! I have appreciated their collaboration, insight and the time that they have put into the job!

Photo of our move up day assembly - thank you Ms. Matthews!
One last…
For inspiration, reflection and classroom practice

Turning to One Another
There is no power greater than a community
discovering what it cares about
Ask “What’s possible?” not “What’s wrong?” Keep asking.      
Notice what you care about.
Assume that many others share your dreams.
Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters.
Talk to people you know.
Talk to people you don’t know.
Talk to people you never talk to.
Be intrigued by the differences you hear.
Expect to be surprised.
Treasure curiosity more than certainty.
Invite in everybody who cares to work on what’s possible.
Acknowledge that everyone is an expert about something.
Know that creative solutions come from new connections.
Remember, you don’t fear people whose story you know.
Real listening always brings people closer together.
Trust that meaningful conversations can change your world.
Rely on human goodness. Stay together.
Margaret Wheatley  2002

I shared this poem with you during my first staff meeting as principal in June of 2015.   As I read it today and reflect on the past few years, I can think of so many examples of conversations that led to action around what we care about and the work that brought us closer together. In fact, I can think of examples to illustrate every line. Thank you all for inspiring me to do my best. It has been an absolute honor and the highlight of my career to serve you as co-principal with focus on the middle level at BCEMS. I am so grateful that I will be able to continue to work with all of you in my new role!  

With love and pride in my heart ~  I wish you a fantastic week!!  Jackie  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.